1) Sorting – Have the child sort the blocks by color.
2) Patterning: Make a pattern and have the child model the same pattern.
3) Number Quantity Practice: Take index cards and write numbers then have child put the correct number of blocks by building towers with the correct number of blocks to represent the number.
4) Mega Blok Visual discrimination puzzles: Print these free animal puzzles and tape them onto the blocks. Mix them up and have the child find the correct blocks to form animals. Its a fun, engaging activity. The child can then pretend play with the animals and build other things to go along with the animals! Click here to download.
5) Number Order: With a permanent marker write numbers 1-10 on blocks. Mix all the blocks up and have the child put the numbers in correct order.
6) Building similar figures: Make simple figures and have the child model those same figures with the same color blocks and same positioning. This helps build spatial-visual skills, fine motor skills, and reasoning and problem solving skills.
when the child gets better have the child build more complex figures such as animals, robots, people, houses, and objects.